Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Teacher Story

 I was teaching third grade. My grand daughter, Rachel, was in my friend, Luci’s, third grade class, just one classroom over.

One afternoon, after the children had gone home, I was working at my desk, when Luci came into my room.  In her hand was a piece of the familiar tan-colored paper with the blue solid and dotted lines that third graders use.

“Honey?  Did you have something you wanted to tell me?” she said with a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

“What?” I brilliantly replied.

“Well, these are Rachel’s spelling sentences.  I think you should read the fourth one.”  She said as she handed me the paper.

Sentence number four boldly said, “My Uncle Rob came out of the closet.”

Closet was the spelling word.  We laughed and wondered if Leigh, his wife of six years, would be amused to find this out.

I sent the paper to Rob and Leigh because I knew they’d love it.  The paper is still attached to the door of their refrigerator with a little magnet.  Rachel is in the eighth grade now, and alas, too worldly to write such funny things.

No comments:

Post a Comment